[Tutorial] How to fix beta maps

• Просмотр профиля
    • hl2-beta.ru
Introduction
So, you've downloaded the beta, figured out how to unpack the archives, successfully launched it and solved possible technical problems. Next thing you'll want to do will be to look for all those maps from the stolen WC mappack. The first thing you'll need to do after downloading and unpacking the archive is to configure the beta's Hammer in order to use the vmfs. Now you can start exploring all those old maps. It is obvious you don't want to just explore all of them but also to try them in-game to see how all those cut locations looked like. To do this you will need to compile the maps you want to try in-game (Don't forget to put the map you wish to compile in hl2/maps folder before you start compiling it).

Well, you compiled the map, launched it in-game and... WHATTA HELL WHY EVERYTHING IS BLACK WHERE ARE ALL THOSE PROP MODELS WHY THERE'RE PINK CHECKERED TEXTURES EVERYWHERE WHY THE SCRIPTS DON'T WORK???????7777
ImageImage
The answer to all those questions is quite simple - the majority of the maps in the mappack were created when Half-Life 2's content and engine changed a couple of times a day. Many engine functions, models and textures were to be added, others were to be removed, some were to be replaced. Luckily almost all of the mentioned problems can be solved. And that is the purpose of this thread - to teach you how to do it. Well, let's go!

VMF Updater
[свернуть]

Conflict of the beta Hammer with the retail one
[свернуть]

Replacing missing textures
[свернуть]

Replacing obsolete entities (static_prop for prop_static etc.)
[свернуть]

Replacing missing models
[свернуть]

Fixing black brushes and NPC
[свернуть]

Fixing doors (func_door)
[свернуть]

Fixing script entities from GoldSrc era
[свернуть]

Compiling maps with a batch
[свернуть]

That's pretty much it. With this tutorial you can fix the majority of WC mappack maps by yourself. Don't forget to release your fixes on our forum in the Maps sub-forum  :). If you have more questions about map fixing or if you want to give some advises on how to improve this tutorial - feel free to ask/tell about it in this thread.
Отредактировано: 30 Июн 2017, 14:14:40 от Evil Genius
    • Просмотр профиля
    • hl2-beta.ru
Full replacements list for missing models:
Spoiler
[свернуть]

Not quite original models, but they can serve as replacements
[свернуть]
Отредактировано: 05 Авг 2017, 17:58:41 от Витой

VXP

• Просмотр профиля
    • LeakNet
Updated script for VMF Updater: fixed replacing some entities and added latest model replacing
Installing: put updater.lua into the VMF Updater folder and replace original file
https://yadi.sk/d/a_EYP8Ln3Kfrk9
  • Citizen
    • Просмотр профиля
hey there, thanks for the guide! however, i seem to be having a bit of troubles with compiling the WC map pack. i've configured the beta hammer program correctly, and i've done the proper preparations such as placing the vmf/map file in the hl2/maps directory, etc. and when i compile it the process goes by smoothly, but when the game opens right after, it can't detect the map/the map wasn't actually compiled at all?

i'll use the beta arcade as an example. i've moved the vmf to hl2/maps, i run/compile it with the beta hammer, no errors come up or anything, but when the game opens and tries using the map it fails and this comes up in the console:

Цитата
CModelLoader::Map_IsValid:  No such map 'arcade_06'
map load failed: arcade_06 not found or invalid

any idea what i'm doing wrong? have i configured the hammer tool incorrectly, did i miss something? i'm really not sure

also, in the game itself props/parts of the map disappear when they're not in the center of my sight. is this something that's also fixed as a part of this tutorial or am i missing something here too? sorry for being a bit daft with this, i'm pretty inexperienced with this kinda stuff
    • Просмотр профиля
    • hl2-beta.ru
when the game opens right after, it can't detect the map/the map wasn't actually compiled at all?
Check your anon-hl2/hl2/maps folder, the map (.bsp file) you've compiled should be there. If it's not there could be a problem with the compilation, e.g. some error with the vmf file.

Цитата
i'll use the beta arcade as an example.

Well, I know for sure some of those arcade map sources have some problems that don't let the map to compile. There're too many NPCs if I recall correctly. Try to delete those citizen lines and recompile the map.

Цитата
also, in the game itself props/parts of the map disappear when they're not in the center of my sight. is this something that's also fixed as a part of this tutorial or am i missing something here too? sorry for being a bit daft with this, i'm pretty inexperienced with this kinda stuff
It's because you have widescreen monitor. Check General Technical Problems thread for the solution.
  • Citizen
    • Просмотр профиля
when the game opens right after, it can't detect the map/the map wasn't actually compiled at all?
Check your anon-hl2/hl2/maps folder, the map (.bsp file) you've compiled should be there. If it's not there could be a problem with the compilation, e.g. some error with the vmf file.

Цитата
i'll use the beta arcade as an example.

Well, I know for sure some of those arcade map sources have some problems that don't let the map to compile. There're too many NPCs if I recall correctly. Try to delete those citizen lines and recompile the map.

Цитата
It's because you have widescreen monitor. Check General Technical Problems thread for the solution.
ah, thanks. looks like doing a clean reinstall of the beta fixed it, i may have originally had something wrong with the worldcraft editor's paths that i didn't notice, i don't know, but it's working now. thanks for pointing me over to the technical problems thread for the widescreen, as well
  • Citizen
    • Просмотр профиля
I've seem to encountered an issue with Hammer.
I've configured it correctly but I can't run/compile the map (I tried to compile Ickypop).
"Run" doesn't have black text color like others, instead it appears gray which means I can't press it.
Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
    • Просмотр профиля
I've configured it correctly but I can't run/compile the map (I tried to compile Ickypop).
"Run" doesn't have black text color like others, instead it appears gray which means I can't press it.

It seems that you have incorrectly configured Build Programs in Tools -> Options.
Is your setup looks like this?
  • Citizen
    • Просмотр профиля

It seems that you have incorrectly configured Build Programs in Tools -> Options.
Is your setup looks like this?

Thank you so much! I can finally run the maps now.
Oddly enough, I had configured it like that but who knows, maybe you just had to do it again or something.
Now I can finally watch an Ichthyosaur kill some Headcrab zombies, fly out of the water and fall on land while the G-Man gets carried away of a crow. :)

(♮)0bs0l3t3_Pr09r4m(♮)

• Good Citizen
    • Просмотр профиля
How func_door_rotating and how to make it properly rotate as every time it rotates on its center not on is side. !question And also my vrad seems to not be working any suggestions?
Отредактировано: 07 Авг 2017, 05:22:54 от (♮)0bs0l3t3_Pr09r4m(♮)
*Microwave Noises*

LordRevolution

• Good Citizen
    • Просмотр профиля
Thanks for this it really helps me whilst in the process of making my own game using pre-existing maps
    • Просмотр профиля
    • hl2-beta.ru
How func_door_rotating and how to make it properly rotate as every time it rotates on its center not on is side. !question
It seems it's origin (a circle with a dot inside when you chose a func_door_rotating) is on brush's center. Move it on a spot you want this door move around.

(♮)0bs0l3t3_Pr09r4m(♮)

• Good Citizen
    • Просмотр профиля
How func_door_rotating and how to make it properly rotate as every time it rotates on its center not on is side. !question
It seems it's origin (a circle with a dot inside when you chose a func_door_rotating) is on brush's center. Move it on a spot you want this door move around.
Thank you for helping me with the door issue, but now when I decompile maps i get this message:

ERROR: Couldn't open texlight file C:\anon-hl2\bin\lights.rad

How do i fix this?
*Microwave Noises*

VXP

• Просмотр профиля
    • LeakNet
... when I decompile maps i get this message:

ERROR: Couldn't open texlight file C:\anon-hl2\bin\lights.rad

How do i fix this?
Try to put lights.rad from your hl2 folder into the mod directory, or just put it in bin folder - C:\anon-hl2\bin\