[Tutorial] How to fix beta maps

(♮)0bs0l3t3_Pr09r4m(♮)

• Good Citizen
    • Просмотр профиля
... when I decompile maps i get this message:

ERROR: Couldn't open texlight file C:\anon-hl2\bin\lights.rad

How do i fix this?
Try to put lights.rad from your hl2 folder into the mod directory, or just put it in bin folder - C:\anon-hl2\bin\
Thank you for telling me that and now my vrad works fine. But now all of my maps are on full bright even when i put the light_env entity in. Is there any solution? (Sorry for asking so many qustions  :()
*Microwave Noises*
    • Просмотр профиля
    • hl2-beta.ru
now all of my maps are on full bright even when i put the light_env entity in. Is there any solution? (Sorry for asking so many qustions  :()
One guy on youtube just told me he got rid of similar problem by following the "Conflict of the beta Hammer with the retail one" paragraph of this tutorial.

(♮)0bs0l3t3_Pr09r4m(♮)

• Good Citizen
    • Просмотр профиля
Yup, that fixed it. Thank you. ^_^
*Microwave Noises*
  • Citizen
    • Просмотр профиля
So I just found that when I start WC after loading for a bit a window pops up for a split second with nothing in it and a window title of "Microsoft Visual C++ runtime library" and instantly closes and with that Hammer closes too.
please help.

Also, there is no Vproject for some reason even though I have Hammer.

GIF
    • Просмотр профиля
    • hl2-beta.ru
So I just found that when I start WC after loading for a bit a window pops up for a split second with nothing in it and a window title of "Microsoft Visual C++ runtime library" and instantly closes and with that Hammer closes too.

Did you use retail SDK before? If yes try to clean registry keys for it and also make sure to follow "Conflict of the beta Hammer with the retail one" paragraph of this tutorial.

mine

• Good Citizen
    • Просмотр профиля
    • Head of the TFI Team
The hammer editor in the team fortress 2 alpha works

https://hl2-beta.ru/index.php?action=downloads;cat=27

• Citizen
    • Просмотр профиля
Did you use retail SDK before? If yes try to clean registry keys for it and also make sure to follow "Conflict of the beta Hammer with the retail one" paragraph of this tutorial.
Yes, I use Retail but...
there is no Vproject in the registry
  • Citizen
    • Просмотр профиля
My map stops compiling at "Finding displacement neightbours..." and won't create the .bsp file. Why's that?

Jar of Flies

• Просмотр профиля
    • Lambda Videos Youtube
My map stops compiling at "Finding displacement neightbours..." and won't create the .bsp file. Why's that?

*censored* up displacement somewhere. Compile without displacements and compare.
Отредактировано: 02 Ноя 2017, 09:45:23 от Витой

Add me on Steam if you want:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Vollum-1b/
  • Citizen
    • Просмотр профиля
Yup, it appears to be a *censored* up displacement although the map still wouldn't run because of other issues. Anyway, how can I know which displacement is the *censored* up one, why is it *censored* up, and how can I fix it?
Отредактировано: 02 Ноя 2017, 09:45:48 от Витой
    • Просмотр профиля
    • hl2-beta.ru
Let me guess - the map is either wasteland_railbridge or wasteland_depot? If yes, the problem is on their 3d skybox displacements - some of those leafs have disp power 2 and the min requirement is 3 (as I remember).
Also, we don't tolerate swearings here.
Отредактировано: 02 Ноя 2017, 09:46:24 от Витой
  • Citizen
    • Просмотр профиля
Hey, thanks a lot. Their .bsp's are created now.

The next problem is the areaportals. It says there's some stuff about not touching 2 brushes, and Google/Valve Dev Wiki said it's because they're leaking. However, they seem to be sealed off pretty well when I checked them (they're either in a doorway or at the top of ladders in guard towers). I can run it in-game if I deleted the func_areaportals and not use vvis and vrad when compiling though.

(i'll fix the misaligned doors and black/error models and missing textures later)

By the way, I've noticed that bullets that hit the ground/walls will end up leaving bullet impact particles in the sky. Is that the leak engine's problem or just the map's problem?
    • Просмотр профиля
    • hl2-beta.ru
It says there's some stuff about not touching 2 brushes
func_doors with wrong move direction can be the cause of it.
  • Citizen
    • Просмотр профиля
There appears to be nothing wrong with the func_door_rotating's in the map. Only func_doors have issues, but they don't have any areaportals tied to them.

Also, I get a "Door group lift 1/2 has misaligned origin!" when I start the map in-game but they function just fine. What's the problem?
Отредактировано: 03 Ноя 2017, 13:56:12 от PikaCommando
    • Просмотр профиля
    • hl2-beta.ru
There appears to be nothing wrong with the func_door_rotating's in the map. Only func_doors have issues
I’d delete those area portals if I were you. Too much trouble for a not really good looking map from 2001. Not that modern PCs will have any lags on that map.