You might remember that we had a nice little mapping contest
last year. Few people attended, even fewer finished their work and sent us their maps, but in the end the maps played greatly, and thanks to the contest we now have a few more great maps
for the HL2 Beta!
We thought that it's about time that we repeat the mapping contest - although this time we are willing to give everyone much more time for their maps as last time many people complained that they couldn't finish their work before the contest ended.
Just like last time, entrants are tasked with creating a map in the Leak engine. It could be anything - a remake or a redux version of a map from WC-mappack, a map based on Marc Laidlaw's short story, or something completely unrelated to the cut content of Half-Life 2.
The contest starts today, May the 1st, and ends September 30th, a memorable date when Half-Life 2 was initially to be released in 2003 - so you now have five months to finish your maps. After this date we will take some time to play your maps and make our verdicts, and then on October the 2nd, the exact date when the leaked build of Half-life 2 was publicly released, we will make another stream on our Youtube channel where we will showcase your works and give you the names of the winners.
We only have a few rules for our mapping contest:
- Maps should be made for the leaked engine (so called "Half-Life 2 beta")
- Maps must be decent in terms of efforts you put into them: no really short "tech-demo" style maps please! Do something really creative and more or less big. Also no joke maps.
- Maps must be at least fairly original - we are not looking for another Get Your Free TVs remake, sorry.
- Feel free to use any custom content. You could even release it in a separate folder as a mod.
- All entries must be made by the closing date - the 30th of September.
- To submit the entries, attach them to an email and send it to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Don't forget to use some popular file hosting, like Dropbox or Google Drive
As for the winners - we'll have three 3 prize places again. And the prizes will be:
- 1st place - any steam game up to $40
- 2nd place - any steam game up to $20
- 3rd place - any steam game up to $15
Just as last time, all winners will also get Discord roles on our server.
If you have any questions regarding this contest, or you would like to share your progress on maps with everyone - feel free to communicate with others on our Discord server's #contest
channel that was made specially for this contest, or in this thread.
Good luck everyone!